New Colombo Plan - Scholarship Program
The New Colombo Plan is a signature initiative of the Australian Government that aims to lift knowledge of the Indo-Pacific in Australia and strengthen our people-to-people and institutional relationships, through study and work placement undertaken by Australian undergraduate students in the region.
Valued at up to AU$67,000 the New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program provides the opportunity for Australian undergraduates to undertake up to one academic year of study in one of the destinations countries. The program also includes provision for relevant language studies, internship / mentorship and community engagement components.
UNSW is calling for expressions of interest from students wishing to go on Student Exchange to one of the destination countries between 1 January 2017 and 31 December 2017. UNSW will nominate up to 10 students to apply to the prestigious Scholarship Program.
Destination Countries: 2017 NCP Destination Countries are China, India, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
To be eligible for nomination you must:
- be an Australian citizen. Applicants cannot undertake their Scholarship in a Host Location in which they hold dual citizenship or permanent residency; or in which they have previously been a citizen or permanent resident;
- be between 18 and 28 years of age (inclusive) on 1 January 2017;
- be undertaking a Bachelor Degree or Bachelor Honours Degree when the Scholarship Program commences;
- have achieved a minimum 70 per cent graded average or equivalent for your undergraduate course at the time of application;
- be applying to go on exchange between 1 January and 31 December 2017 for either 1 or 2 semesters;
- receive credit from your exchange towards your UNSW degree;
- not be undertaking another Australian Government funded off-shore scholarship at the commencement of, or concurrently with, the Scholarship Program; and
- not be a previous recipient of a New Colombo Plan Scholarship.
Applicants will be assessed against the following criteria. You should address each criterion and limit your responses to 300 words per criterion. The selection criteria weighting will be as follows:
- Academic excellence at the tertiary level (40 per cent weighting);
- Leadership in the community (30 per cent weighting); and
- Adaptability and Resilience (15 per cent weighting)
- Ability to contribute to New Colombo Plan goals (15 per cent weighting)
- Indicate your preference for country destination.
A detailed description of the requirements for applicants is included in the Scholarship Program Guidelines